I’m currently teaching a historical fiction unit to my seventh grade classes, so I’m on a bit of a historical fiction kick. I keep finding historical fiction books that sound really interesting, so I keep adding them to my To Be Read list. Two of the books I’m adding are Code Name Verity and Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Published by Disney Hyperion
Date: May 7, 2013 (first published January 1, 2012)
Series: Code Name Verity #1
Genres: Young Adult, Historical Fiction
Pages: 447
I have two weeks. You’ll shoot me at the end no matter what I do.
That’s what you do to enemy agents. It’s what we do to enemy agents. But I look at all the dark and twisted roads ahead and cooperation is the easy way out. Possibly the only way out for a girl caught red-handed doing dirty work like mine — and I will do anything, anything, to avoid SS-Hauptsturmführer von Linden interrogating me again.
He has said that I can have as much paper as I need. All I have to do is cough up everything I can remember about the British War Effort. And I’m going to. But the story of how I came to be here starts with my friend Maddie. She is the pilot who flew me into France — an Allied Invasion of Two.
We are a sensational team.
- Goodreads 
Code Name Verity: This book has actually been on my list for a while. I first discovered it last year on Amazon, and I remember thinking, “A book about a female British spy during World War II…sounds pretty awesome!” Since then, the book has been featured at my school’s book fair, and it has been recommended to me several times by different people. I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, but I’m really looking forward to it. I’ve read loads of books about World War II–more books than I can count–but none of them focused on the perspective of a female spy. I’m looking forward to reading what I’m sure is a unique twist on a popular time period featured in historical fiction.


Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
Published by Disney Hyperion
Date: September 10, 2013
Series: Code Name Verity #2
Genres: Young Adult, Historical Fiction
Pages: 483
While flying an Allied fighter plane from Paris to England, American ATA pilot and amateur poet, Rose Justice, is captured by the Nazis and sent to Ravensbrück, the notorious women's concentration camp. Trapped in horrific circumstances, Rose finds hope in the impossible through the loyalty, bravery and friendship of her fellow prisoners. But will that be enough to endure the fate that’s in store for her?
Elizabeth Wein, author of the critically-acclaimed and best-selling Code Name Verity, delivers another stunning WWII thriller. The unforgettable story of Rose Justice is forged from heart-wrenching courage, resolve, and the slim, bright chance of survival.
- Goodreads 
Rose Under Fire: I discovered this book a few weeks ago. It happened to be one of my Kindle recommendations on Amazon. I recognized the author and linked it to Code Name Verity, so, intrigued, I read the book description. Like Code Name Verity, Rose Under Fire seems as if it offers a unique perspective on a topic that is often covered in historical fiction–Nazi concentration camps. As I’ve mentioned, I’ve read a lot of books about World War II, many of which have been about the Nazi concentration camps. Almost all of the books I’ve read about the concentration camps, however, have been told from a Jewish perspective, so the fact that Rose Under Fire is told from a non-Jewish perspective is interesting to me. I’ve also never heard of the concentration camp Ravensbrück, where the story takes place, so I welcome the opportunity to learn something new.

What books are you adding to your To Be Read list this month?


Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.