The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Published by Penguin Books
Date: January 3, 2013
Genres: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Romance
Pages: 316
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased


Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

- Goodreads

Hazel Grace has resigned herself to a life of living with cancer. She lives her life based on a routine that she has no reason to change, and she's okay with that. But, her mother insists on sending her to Cancer Support Group, which is where she meets Augustus Waters. And, Augustus Waters changes everything. Augustus lives like everyday is a gift, and he challenges Hazel to step out of her comfort zone and learn what life and love are really all about.


When I first started this book, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I thought it was a book about a girl with cancer, and to me, that sounded incredibly depressing. However, so many people have told me how much they loved the book, and it's their recommendations that encouraged me to power on. I am so glad I powered on. The Fault in Our Stars is probably one of my all time favorite books--I loved it that much.

Needless to say, there isn't anything I disliked about the book, so I'm just going to write about how wonderful it is. What I loved most about The Fault in Our Stars is that it's real. John Green never tries to sugarcoat anything, and he never gives an unrealistic view of cancer. The story he creates is real and genuine. The characters Hazel and Augustus feel like they could be real people. They have genuine hopes and fears and a realistic outlook on the way the world works. They recognize that "the world is not a wish-granting factory," but they don't allow that reality to overtake them and stop them from living full lives.

Another thing I really loved about the book was the plot. I fully expected the story to focus on the cancer, but it didn't. The cancer is there--it's a part of the story--but it doesn't drive the story. At its core, The Fault in Our Stars is a story about celebrating life and the love you get experience during your life. It's a story that has everything. It has drama and suspense, romance and comedy, and at the end, the reader is left with a sense of hope.

John Green did a fantastic job creating a dynamic story. It has several surprising moments, which I think is sometimes hard to accomplish in YA books. So many of the stories in YA books have been done so many times, that sometimes plots can become predictable. This is not the case with *The Fault in Our Stars*. It is completely original. There were so many moments in the book that I did not expect, and those moments made me love the book even more.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading The Fault in Our Stars (as if you couldn't tell). It is a great book that I recommend to everyone. I loved this book so much that I'm a little worried to read Looking for Alaska, which is the next John Green book on my list. After The Fault in Our Stars, my expectations are high now, and I'm a little worried Looking for Alaska won't live up to them. But, I'm still going to read it, and hopefully I'll enjoy it just as much.

I'm going to leave you with the trailer for The Fault in Our Stars movie. Check it out below. I'm super excited to go see this movie this weekend. Be of the lookout for my review of the film early next week.


One Comment

  1. it always surprises me how many people have still not read the book or have just read it. I think the fact that it is so well loved put's people off in case then end up disliking it when it all honesty, I don't think I've come across one person who didn't adore the book.

    Great review hun and I'm glad you liked the book :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.